Online Babble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midterm Discussion Topics

+130
harlymaylumagui
sig_angeles
carlajavellana
kuai_dumol
yen_miller0919
Lito Delapena
jefftenedero
joanna_tiu
mahalmartinez
markpimentel08
John Michael Umali
beltranjoana19
aizamdeguzman
aryen_jumaya
levi_martin
angel_saladojr
aben
mikashintome
nikki_sunga
con divino23
escarcha
rowenaperez
BeeJ_Santos
ishtin_delacruz
faithy
luigimanoza
holden
jimcasipit
Canceran Renz Briane F. C
mike tulang
hared_hachero
Francisco_Lim
Jovi_salud
paulojolejole
jamesdaplas
rhej89
jeanilyn_angeles
wrcrofule
raisa_marie
francesacoquia0811
joycetapan
abbyalvarado
neahmawak
thon_olivay
kenjohn
derrick_delgado
jacquelynrosal
alfantemitch
kris
noellaenriquez
roselynfuensalida
audree_somera
jriosa
mundo_rocks
rosanduque
mark_totanes
john316
mcloyola
raycharlesdelagua
mjaneenriquez
glennalba
karrencasue
ranniesantiago
kristinemadolid
wilmark_sarmiento
ErikkaToledo
Toni Ross Masinsin
rvasquez
andrearebadavia
ivanneyanga
alexander galinato
donabelleluna
mylenecportugaleza
kristeldiaz_714
edlyn_penaranda
vullagmyka
mangaserchel
vjr8
kellybarachina
ivymarieboquiren
jewel_apacible
joshuajames
maricris lim
klgalang3598
xxkpatino
nicolasFE
shiela_fababeir
senjindesagun
mhy_rodriguez
Graciel Katibog
vyhel_apolito
bm_valencia
alemmuli
RichelGrubat
maryjane
tiehermosilla
raufrankalfaro
mark ramos
Alcoba, Cristina
pao_guerrero
maryruth_santos
juno.pestano
r.abendan
rrreysag
ChiquiPalanca
johnrossmisa
jenpallesco
lou.sierra
medo_domingo
haidelyn
rjt_vargas
nramos
na_ballesteros
markadriandino
ynall_nosaj11
xenen
gerald_sanchez
zanderalarcos
lance_spearBFF
ishie_barundia
jlcaraan
jm_oracion
kc_garces0402
elize balba
mike_viesca23
cathy_tia
Dorilyn Fuderanan
albertgni
neldyjacinto
arlynne.awayan
134 posters

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty Re: Midterm Discussion Topics

Post  albertgni Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:12 pm

kc_garces0402 wrote:You still have to mind your manners even online. Send at least three (3) netiquette rules that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion boards, etc.
1. respect your chat
2. be polite
3. give good discussion or topics
ONLINE SAFETY
There have been a lot of cases of abuse and exploitation originating from the internet. List ways on how you can avoid danger
-Avoid give your usernames,password,email address that will track your address, dont entertain that you consider as a stranger that will bother you evrytime you check your acccount.
ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS
Can you consider cyber relationships to be TRUE relationships? Can you really consider someone a GF/BF if you have never met a person offline? You can talk about your own experiences (good or bad) in any of these topics to help enlighten other people.
- No, for me it is better that you get to know the person and court you in a traditional way..cyber chat is one way were some peoplee abuse there dignity and one way of prostitution.

correct ka jan gurl!!!!apir!!!! Wink
albertgni
albertgni

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:31 pm

arlynne.awayan wrote:Question NETIQUETTE

You still have to mind your manners even online. Send at least three (3) netiquette rules that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion boards, etc.

1.) You should observed and understand the rules and policies when participating in chatrooms and discussion boards.
2.) Make sure to remember all the policies and rules as stated.
3.) When you're inside the chat rooms, apply what you have to consider when the conversation is going on.
4.) It can help you throughout the conversation.
5.) Always be polite when talking to someone, respect everyone in the room. If you want to be respected also.
6.) Following rules and policies is not really hard. All you have to do is to practice.

Question ONLINE SAFETY

There have been a lot of cases of abuse and exploitation originating from the internet. List ways on how you can avoid danger affraid

1.) Do not go to untrusted sites.
2.) It is one source of viruses, not all sites are trusted. So be careful when reaching other sites.
3.) Many online users get harm because of this untrusted sites. Be sure to know or have some idea before entering into this sites.
4.) Always secured your account, if possible make a strong password for your account.
5.) Don't give your personal info. such as personal address, contact #,bday, real name and so on, to the persons who is untrusted and also to the sites which you do not recognized.
6.) Especially when you're in a chat rooms, sometimes the people there might be introduces their selves nicely and treat you good, but in the end when they already get you,your attention. They might be deceiving and it will lead you to a danger.
7.) Always keep in our mind that people are always people. They can be good nor bad so we do not give our full 100% trust.

Question ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

Can you consider cyber relationships to be TRUE relationships? Can you really consider someone a GF/BF if you have never met a person offline?

You can talk about your own experiences (good or bad) in any of these topics to help enlighten other people.

I think it really depends on both users. If they agree each other without deceiving. Because if one are only fun of doing so, it goes into fooling matter. This not a true relationship its a matter of fooling around, just a waste of time. But if both of them believed and trust with each other and they set time to spent through the rest of their lives i can consider this relationship to be true.

In my case, i cannot consider this not to be true. Because i much appreciate the relationship when its in person not only in this cybernet. Although it's fun but when the time comes you will be meet each other, there something would be changed either to the girl or to boy, because its really different when you meet. So for me its better to meet a girl in person than on cybernet.

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 pm

albertgni wrote:

You still have to mind your manners even online. Send at least three (3) netiquette rules that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion boards, etc.

Question ONLINE SAFETY

There have been a lot of cases of abuse and exploitation originating from the internet. List ways on how you can avoid danger affraid

Can you consider cyber relationships to be TRUE relationships? Can you really consider someone a GF/BF if you have never met a person offline?

You can talk about your own experiences (good or bad) in any of these topics to help enlighten other people.

on netiquette...
you should respect everybody elsae in the chatrooms, forums etc. just like talking face to face with others. respect begets respect. second, dont use immoral or vulgar words!!!thats a no no!!!u can only use it depending on what type of person you are communicating to and where you are in the net, example, if you are chatting with some not so crazy persons like proffesionals and even your friends in friendster and multiply, you should communicate with them in a nice way...it also depends on the situation, if magkaaway kayo!!!ehehehehe Smile and third, dont force someone who doesnt want to add you or get someones email address, its a personal thing, if that someone permits you so, you can. Very Happy

on ONLINE SAFETY

dont ever give your email addresses or usernames with someone you dont know, dont post it on you friendster or multiply profiles, they can bother you anytime they want. another is the confedentiality features of some on line community si tes like friendster, multiply, my space etc. they have this feature that they limit the viewing of your profiles to some selected people, and also, dont accept invites to people you dont know, like dont talk to strangers. the same applies to yahoo messengers and skype.

on ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

i think on line relationships work for some. although somwe questions like, "how can you say that you love someone if you dont really know this man?" but like my mother's friend, she just chatted on the net and she built relationship with an american, and that guy said that she loved him adn she also feel the same too. one thing that i want to tell them that what is their proof that they love each other since their only thing that they do is talking each other in front of the computer!!!!you know, looks are decieving...you really dont know someone if you havent personally meet him. But still, it depends on the people involved, love is mysterious and even conqueres technological gadgets...
[b]
yah its true..its really depends on the parties involved. We can't judged loved or dictate our hearts easily..it takes time a long time to process.. But if true love comes no one can ever stop.

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:35 pm

jlcaraan wrote:

I can consider some Cyber Relationships to be true like what has been show in one of the recent episode of i-witness ata un... um Filipina have meet his american husband by the internet where there luv has blossom and soon they had been married....Pero some are not i think cyber relationships is merely an infatuation and me myself i dont want to have a GF that I haven't Seen in person kasi malay mu bading pla un taz nagpapanggap lang na girl edi lugi. and also mhirap n pgngonline lang kayo nagkakausap walang personal touch parang ndi mu ramdam um pag sasabi ng I Luv U!!!hehehe

pare, correct ka jan. anu un "CHARING" lang..hehehe. Dapat talga in person.

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:39 pm

albertgni wrote:
kc_garces0402 wrote:You still have to mind your manners even online. Send at least three (3) netiquette rules that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion boards, etc.
1. respect your chat
2. be polite
3. give good discussion or topics
ONLINE SAFETY
There have been a lot of cases of abuse and exploitation originating from the internet. List ways on how you can avoid danger
-Avoid give your usernames,password,email address that will track your address, dont entertain that you consider as a stranger that will bother you evrytime you check your acccount.
ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS
Can you consider cyber relationships to be TRUE relationships? Can you really consider someone a GF/BF if you have never met a person offline? You can talk about your own experiences (good or bad) in any of these topics to help enlighten other people.
- No, for me it is better that you get to know the person and court you in a traditional way..cyber chat is one way were some peoplee abuse there dignity and one way of prostitution.

correct ka jan gurl!!!!apir!!!! Wink
i agree to that... we boys are courting girls., its one way of expressing our true feelings.. and its more liked to be expressed especially in person.

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:44 pm

lance_spearBFF wrote:

Question NETIQUETTE

Question ONLINE SAFETY

NETIQUETTE

-Read the rules of the chat room, forum, or online community before you post a message.
-Stay on topic.
-Don't use offensive language or vulgar words.
-In email, dont send or forward messges with virus.

ONLINE SAFETY

-Always secure your computer. Dont tell your password just keep it to yourself. rabbit hehe!
-Regularly scan for viruses. Always scan the files that you downloaded at the Internet.
-Use a firewall. To prevent from the pop-up webpage.
-Install anti-virus software. To prevent your pc from virus infection.

ONLINE RELATIONSHIP

Everything is possible. There are some successful love story online, but most weren't that lucky. For me, it so absurd to fall in love with a person whom you doesn't really know personally. As if youre having a relationship with the wind. Desperate is the name of this game. People who find their luck in their love life online are the people who were desperate of getting a partner for a while or for life. This people were just fooling theirselves. hahah! Exclamation <i think i talk nonsense> Laughing

...<im so mean>...
Twisted Evil
It depends.. everything is possible. Some find their true love and some are not..It doesn't matter if you're desperate or not..

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm

Dorilyn Fuderanan wrote:

Question ONLINE SAFETY

"Nettiquettes achochorba..."

1. Don't say something stupid just because they can't hit you in the face afterwards.
2. Don't dish out important and PRIVATE details about you. RISKY.
3. Don't believe everything you see, read, or hear. Chatrooms are full of posers and LIARS.

"Net Exploitation"

I still believe that people get exploited because they simply let their guard down. They dish out private and important details about themselves like home/office.school addresses, pictures, etc. That's why some are taking advantage of it.

"CybieRhp's... silent "

I still believe that romantic relationships should be kept intimate by personally nourishing it. Say this... you can't kiss for real or hug for real with your partner using your pc screens right. But then love knows no boundaries.
yahhp! this is true. i do also believe in you. correct. What's love without this. You can't even touch him/her. But as you said "love has no definite limitations"

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:52 pm

cathy_tia wrote:NETIQUETTE

You still have to mind your manners even online. Send at least three (3) netiquette rules that should be observed when participating in chartrooms, discussion boards, etc.

1st respect every person in the chartroom even if you don’t see and communicating with them personally.

2nd avoid using vulgar and malicious thing while chatting; don’t be to boastful and confident to be safe hiding in the monitor. Those people who are boastful and have unethical manners in chatting are those who have a very low self esteem. They are grabbing the opportunity hiding inside the monitor and doing does crazy and stupid things which really as well they experienced.

3rd if you just want to jerk a person in the chat room, then your not belong in this place

ONLINE SAFETY

Never trust easily, especially on blind date, be careful

Never use internet on finding a relationship because its very risky

Do not entertain easily

Be allert

Make a separate account for chatting

ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

There are many aspects which can consider as answer to these questions

In finding a relationship, we are searching for the right person for us, looking for the inner personality are part of the stage or what we mostly say “ getting to know each other” stage. Ignoring the personal appearance and by chatting comfortably to a person is a way which we can show and express our self (providing that pretensions are not exhibited) it’s easier to know each other well. In this case, we can say that there can be a true filling to your opposite sex may develop in this situation.

But still, personal communication are very important, we can hide everything inside the monitor. Its very risky
correct. chatting might be deceiving as it is,..personal communication or real environment situation can't be hide the real personality as to the chat may goes..

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm

jm_oracion wrote:

Question ONLINE SAFETY

On NETIQUETTE

1. Give respect to the opinion of other people in the chatroom, discussion forum etc.
2. Learn to read and listen to what the person will say first. NEVER interrupt their chain of thoughts.
3. In chatroom, say "thanks" for the people whom you interact with because they can become good friends once you meet them in real world.

ONLINE SAFETY

1. Be wary of the sites you are visiting in. Some sites may contain viruses, adwares and spywares.
2. Use programs such as anti-keylogger, anti-spyware/adware and anti-virus to protect you from online virii and computer hackers.
3. Keep track of your activity in your PC and the files that you've accessed. With this, you could determine if you're being hacked by someone if the files that recently accessed were not used by yourself.

ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

No, I could not consider it as a true relationship because both of you are hiding inside the cyberspace. There is no physical contact with both parties and it could not help mature relationships. Based on experience, cyberspace service such as online community and chat can serve as a tool to know someone but you must meet with them personally. But still, you must be very careful when doing it because other people may use it to deceive or harass (verbal or sexual). It can also help to those married couples whose other partner is outside the country. It can help them get in touch with their love one.

yah ..i also not considered this was true. You're like doing a relationship with a wind or a ghost maybe..hehehe. So we should always be careful when talking to someone especially whom we do not know. Chatting is not bad,.but we should keep in our mind the person we are talking to..

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  zanderalarcos Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:10 pm

ishie_barundia wrote:

Question ONLINE SAFETY

NETIQUETTE

1. Learn to communicate in a polite and friendly manner in order to somehow gain respect, trust and credibility.
2. Keep a decent image even online and never let anybody abuse you. If this happens, there are regulations & policies that are made to protect users like us with this kind of maltreatment (as far as I know).
3. Before entering to chatrooms or online discussions which you are not yet aware of, "listen" first to get to know the culture of the group or the person. In that way, you'll be able to estimate how far you'll give your own information, thoughts and ideas.
4. Consider giving proper credits if you have sources in order to substantially identify the work of others (somehow for legality).
5. Make sure you are on the right track by being consistent in protecting your privacy and identity.

ONLINE SAFETY

1. Regularly scan for viruses.
2. Password protect your personal web page.
3. Keep your personal information privately such as real name, phone, address, age, gender, URL or e-mail ID (especially to people you really don't know).
4. Secure your computer so that only authorized users can gain access to it.
5. Use Firewall if possible (a software that can protect computers).

ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

In my own opinion, it depends to both parties involved if they are truly in love or not or rather if its true or not. Still, it is more appropriate if the relationship is not through cyberspace for I still believe in the old fashioned way of courting and having a relationship but then again with the innovations we are experiencing right now; let's give this kind of relationship a try for it might work out for some. As what they say distance does not separate the hearts. ♥♥♥

::.ishie.::
♥XOXO♥
Nakz ishie..hahaha. pero i agree to that. ganyan din sagut ko ehh.hehehe. uu it depends talga yun. galing talga natin nuh? Syempre naman mas maganda pa rin talga yung panliligaw ika nga..MAs lalo mong mapaparamdam sa minamahal mo of what do u really feel for her..It can be expressed freely, shows what you really are?and can be able to expressed your love truly. Love doesn't have boundaries.There's no harm in trying.

zanderalarcos

Back to top Go down

Post  gerald_sanchez Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 pm

[/quote]
Question Exclamation Mad
having a relationship online is very dangerous, both for men and women... you may end up getting raped, molested, scammed, or even killed and dumped in a famous university somewhere in this crappy country...
for men, you may end up with a huge bouncer wearing a body fit tshirt that says cock fighter, and going home walking in an awkward manner...

if you prefer to just sit in front of your pc's and get to know a faceless stranger in the web coz your to lazy, or shy or even desperate...my advice for you is simple...
DON't be stupid!!! always use your head!!!

get to know the person and his intentions before you meet up with him or even decide to have a serious relationship with the stranger...

Last edited by on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerald_sanchez
gerald_sanchez

Back to top Go down

Post  gerald_sanchez Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Question ONLINE SAFETY

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad
"hindi ka stupid person na hindi nag-iisip...!"
-picha pie; by parokya ni edgar-
gerald_sanchez
gerald_sanchez

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty behave

Post  xenen Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 am

There have been a lot of cases of abuse and exploitation originating from the internet. List ways on how you can avoid danger.

1. As much as possible avoid visiting sites that you are not that familiar.
2. Do some research about the site like asking question to those people who had already visited the site.
3. Just behave because people are abuse because of not behaving properly on the net.
xenen
xenen

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty absolute not!!!!!!!!!

Post  xenen Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:27 am

it can't be considered a True Relationship like girlfriend/boyfriend. How can you treat a person to be your gf/bf if you haven't seen each other in person? It involves love in having a relationship and chatting and exchanging message through internet is not enough to express your love to a person.
xenen
xenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dorilyn Fuderanan Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:22 am

gerald_sanchez wrote:
Question ONLINE SAFETY

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad
"hindi ka stupid person na hindi nag-iisip...!"
-picha pie; by parokya ni edgar-

well said pare. Very Happy Razz
Dorilyn Fuderanan
Dorilyn Fuderanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dorilyn Fuderanan Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 am

gerald_sanchez wrote:

Question Exclamation Mad
having a relationship online is very dangerous, both for men and women... you may end up getting raped, molested, scammed, or even killed and dumped in a famous university somewhere in this crappy country...
for men, you may end up with a huge bouncer wearing a body fit tshirt that says cock fighter, and going home walking in an awkward manner...

if you prefer to just sit in front of your pc's and get to know a faceless stranger in the web coz your to lazy, or shy or even desperate...my advice for you is simple...
DON't be stupid!!! always use your head!!!

get to know the person and his intentions before you meet up with him or even decide to have a serious relationship with the stranger...[/quote]

Huwaw!!! straight english! (may +5 ka!) Razz Razz tongue but i agree. to commit yourself to a person requires more than seeing him or her on your pc screens.
Dorilyn Fuderanan
Dorilyn Fuderanan

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty NETIQUETTE RULE 1,2 & 3

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Rule 1: Remember the human

The golden rule your parents and your kindergarten teacher taught you was pretty simple: Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you. Imagine how you'd feel if you were in the other person's shoes. Stand up for yourself, but try not to hurt people's feelings.

In cyberspace, we state this in an even more basic manner: Remember the human.

When you communicate electronically, all you see is a computer screen. You don't have the opportunity to use facial expressions, gestures, and tone of voice to communicate your meaning; words -- lonely written words -- are all you've got. And that goes for your correspondent as well.

When you're holding a conversation online -- whether it's an email exchange or a response to a discussion group posting -- it's easy to misinterpret your correspondent's meaning. And it's frighteningly easy to forget that your correspondent is a person with feelings more or less like your own.

It's ironic, really. Computer networks bring people together who'd otherwise never meet. But the impersonality of the medium changes that meeting to something less -- well, less personal. Humans exchanging email often behave the way some people behind the wheel of a car do: They curse at other drivers, make obscene gestures, and generally behave like savages. Most of them would never act that way at work or at home. But the interposition of the machine seems to make it acceptable.

The message of Netiquette is that it's not acceptable. Yes, use your network connections to express yourself freely, explore strange new worlds, and boldly go where you've never gone before. But remember the Prime Directive of Netiquette: Those are real people out there.

Rule 2: Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life

In real life, most people are fairly law-abiding, either by disposition or because we're afraid of getting caught. In cyberspace, the chances of getting caught sometimes seem slim. And, perhaps because people sometimes forget that there's a human being on the other side of the computer, some people think that a lower standard of ethics or personal behavior is acceptable in cyberspace.

The confusion may be understandable, but these people are mistaken. Standards of behavior may be different in some areas of cyberspace, but they are not lower than in real life.

Be ethical

Don't believe anyone who says, "The only ethics out there are what you can get away with." This is a book about manners, not about ethics. But if you encounter an ethical dilemma in cyberspace, consult the code you follow in real life. Chances are good you'll find the answer.

One more point on Netiquette ethics: If you use shareware, pay for it. Paying for shareware encourages more people to write shareware. The few dollars probably won't mean much to you, and they benefit all of cyberspace in the long run.

Breaking the law is bad Netiquette

If you're tempted to do something that's illegal in cyberspace, chances are it's also bad Netiquette.

Some laws are obscure or complicated enough that it's hard to know how to follow them. And in some cases, we're still establishing how the law applies to cyberspace. Two examples are the laws on privacy (see Rule 8 and "Email Privacy -- a Grand Illusion" on page 125) and copyright (see "Copyright in Cyberspace" on page 133).

Again, this is a book on manners, not a legal manual. But Netiquette mandates that you do your best to act within the laws of society and cyberspace.

Rule 3: Know where you are in cyberspace

Netiquette varies from domain to domain

What's perfectly acceptable in one area may be dreadfully rude in another. For example, in most TV discussion groups, passing on idle gossip is perfectly permissible. But throwing around unsubstantiated rumors in a journalists' mailing list will make you very unpopular there.

And because Netiquette is different in different places, it's important to know where you are. Thus the next corollary:

Lurk before you leap

When you enter a domain of cyberspace that's new to you, take a look around. Spend a while listening to the chat or reading the archives. Get a sense of how the people who are already there act. Then go ahead and participate.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty NETIQUETTE RULE 4 & 5

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Rule 4: Respect other people's time and bandwidth
It's a cliché that people today seem to have less time than ever before, even though (or perhaps because) we sleep less and have more labor-saving devices than our grandparents did. When you send email or post to a discussion group, you're taking up other people's time (or hoping to). It's your responsibility to ensure that the time they spend reading your posting isn't wasted.

The word "bandwidth" is sometimes used synonymously with time, but it's really a different thing. Bandwidth is the information-carrying capacity of the wires and channels that connect everyone in cyberspace. There's a limit to the amount of data that any piece of wiring can carry at any given moment -- even a state-of-the-art fiber-optic cable. The word "bandwidth" is also sometimes used to refer to the storage capacity of a host system. When you accidentally post the same note to the same newsgroup five times, you are wasting both time (of the people who check all five copies of the posting) and bandwidth (by sending repetitive information over the wires and requiring it to be stored somewhere).

You are not the center of cyberspace

Presumably, this reminder will be superfluous to most readers. But I include it anyway, because when you're working hard on a project and deeply involved in it, it's easy to forget that other people have concerns other than yours. So don't expect instant responses to all your questions, and don't assume that all readers will agree with -- or care about -- your passionate arguments.

Rules for discussion groups

Rule 4 has a number of implications for discussion group users. Most discussion group readers are already spending too much time sitting at the computer; their significant others, families, and roommates are drumming their fingers, wondering when to serve dinner, while those network maniacs are catching up on the latest way to housebreak a puppy or cook zucchini.

And many news-reading programs are slow, so just opening a posted note or article can take a while. Then the reader has to wade through all the header information to get to the meat of the message. No one is pleased when it turns out not to be worth the trouble. See "Netiquette for Discussion Groups" on page 65 for detailed rules.

To whom should messages be directed? (Or why "mailing list" could become a dirty word)

In the old days, people made copies with carbon paper. You could only make about five legible copies. So you thought good and hard about who you wanted to send those five copies to.

Today, it's as easy to copy practically anyone on your mail as it is not to. And we sometimes find ourselves copying people almost out of habit. In general, this is rude. People have less time than ever today, precisely because they have so much information to absorb. Before you copy people on your messages, ask yourself whether they really need to know. If the answer is no, don't waste their time. If the answer is maybe, think twice before you hit the send key.

Rule 5: Make yourself look good online
Take advantage of your anonymity

I don't want to give the impression that the net is a cold, cruel place full of people who just can't wait to insult each other. As in the world at large, most people who communicate online just want to be liked. Networks -- particularly discussion groups -- let you reach out to people you'd otherwise never meet. And none of them can see you. You won't be judged by the color of your skin, eyes, or hair, your weight, your age, or your clothing.

You will, however, be judged by the quality of your writing. For most people who choose to communicate online, this is an advantage; if they didn't enjoy using the written word, they wouldn't be there. So spelling and grammar do count.

If you're spending a lot of time on the net and you're shaky in these areas, it's worth brushing up on them. There are plenty of books available, but you'll learn more -- and possibly have more fun -- if you take a course. If you're an older adult , you don't have to take a "bonehead grammar" course with a bunch of bored teenagers. Instead, look for courses on proofreading and copyediting; they usually cover the basic rules of grammar pretty thoroughly, and they'll be filled with motivated students who are there because they want to be. Check your local community college and university extension catalogs -- you'll be amazed at what they offer. A side benefit is that taking courses involves meeting people you can actually see.

Know what you're talking about and make sense

Pay attention to the content of your writing. Be sure you know what you're talking about -- when you see yourself writing "it's my understanding that" or "I believe it's the case," ask yourself whether you really want to post this note before checking your facts. Bad information propagates like wildfire on the net. And once it's been through two or three iterations, you get the same distortion effect as in the party game "Operator": Whatever you originally said may be unrecognizable. (Of course, you could take this as a reason not to worry about the accuracy of your postings. But you're only responsible for what you post yourself, not for what anyone else does with it.)

In addition, make sure your notes are clear and logical. It's perfectly possible to write a paragraph that contains no errors in grammar or spelling, but still makes no sense whatsoever. This is most likely to happen when you're trying to impress someone by using a lot of long words that you don't really understand yourself. Trust me -- no one worth impressing will be impressed. It's better to keep it simple.

Don't post flame-bait

Finally, be pleasant and polite. Don't use offensive language, and don't be confrontational for the sake of confrontation.

Q. Is swearing acceptable on the net?

Only in those areas where sewage is considered an art form, e.g., the USENET newsgroup alt.tasteless. Usually, if you feel that cursing in some form is required, it's preferable to use amusing euphemisms like "effing" and "sugar." You may also use the classic asterisk filler -- for example, s***. The archness is somehow appropriate to the net, and you avoid offending anyone needlessly. And everyone will know exactly what you mean.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Post  jm_oracion Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 pm

albertgni wrote:
jm_oracion wrote:
albertgni wrote:

Question ONLINE SAFETY

on netiquette...
you should respect everybody elsae in the chatrooms, forums etc. just like talking face to face with others. respect begets respect. second, dont use immoral or vulgar words!!!thats a no no!!!u can only use it depending on what type of person you are communicating to and where you are in the net, example, if you are chatting with some not so crazy persons like proffesionals and even your friends in friendster and multiply, you should communicate with them in a nice way...it also depends on the situation, if magkaaway kayo!!!ehehehehe Smile and third, dont force someone who doesnt want to add you or get someones email address, its a personal thing, if that someone permits you so, you can. Very Happy

on ONLINE SAFETY

dont ever give your email addresses or usernames with someone you dont know, dont post it on you friendster or multiply profiles, they can bother you anytime they want. another is the confedentiality features of some on line community si tes like friendster, multiply, my space etc. they have this feature that they limit the viewing of your profiles to some selected people, and also, dont accept invites to people you dont know, like dont talk to strangers. the same applies to yahoo messengers and skype.

on ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

i think on line relationships work for some. although somwe questions like, "how can you say that you love someone if you dont really know this man?" but like my mother's friend, she just chatted on the net and she built relationship with an american, and that guy said that she loved him adn she also feel the same too. one thing that i want to tell them that what is their proof that they love each other since their only thing that they do is talking each other in front of the computer!!!!you know, looks are decieving...you really dont know someone if you havent personally meet him. But still, it depends on the people involved, love is mysterious and even conqueres technological gadgets...
[b]

Depende nga siguro sa tao na gumagamit ng internet. Maybe for me eh it won't work for now but I'm also looking towards the internet will help me to meet the girl of my dreams. In fact, it is now helping me to check what is happening to the girl whom I love to meet someday.

but still, you really dont know who are you talking to...looks are decieving, she might just make loko to you, eh kung yung real relationship nga na mgkasama kayo all the time e kaya nyong maglokohan, what more if you are just talking with her in front of the computer...think about it... Very Happy

hmm...you have a point there. tama ka nga naman na kahit magkasama na kayo eh kaya ninyo pa rin maglokohan. kaya tinigil ko na din yan at focus muna ako sa studies. kapag nasa workplace or outside world madami naman na makikita na pwedeng makarelasyon.

jm_oracion

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty NETIQUETTE RULE 6, 7 & 8

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm

Rule 6: Share expert knowledge
Finally, after all that negativity, some positive advice.

The strength of cyberspace is in its numbers. The reason asking questions online works is that a lot of knowledgeable people are reading the questions. And if even a few of them offer intelligent answers, the sum total of world knowledge increases. The Internet itself was founded and grew because scientists wanted to share information. Gradually, the rest of us got in on the act.

So do your part. Despite the long lists of no-no's in this book, you do have something to offer. Don't be afraid to share what you know.

It's especially polite to share the results of your questions with others. When you anticipate that you'll get a lot of answers to a question, or when you post a question to a discussion group that you don't visit often, it's customary to request replies by email instead of to the group. When you get all those responses, write up a summary and post it to the discussion group. That way, everyone benefits from the experts who took the time to write to you.

If you're an expert yourself, there's even more you can do. Many people freely post all kinds of resource lists and bibliographies, from lists of online legal resources to lists of popular UNIX books. If you're a leading participant in a discussion group that lacks a FAQ, consider writing one. If you've researched a topic that you think would be of interest to others, write it up and post it. See "Copyright in Cyberspace" on page 133 for a few words on the copyright implications of posting research.

Sharing your knowledge is fun. It's a long-time net tradition. And it makes the world a better place.

Rule 7: Help keep flame wars under control
"Flaming" is what people do when they express a strongly held opinion without holding back any emotion. It's the kind of message that makes people respond, "Oh come on, tell us how you really feel." Tact is not its objective.

Does Netiquette forbid flaming? Not at all. Flaming is a long-standing network tradition (and Netiquette never messes with tradition). Flames can be lots of fun, both to write and to read. And the recipients of flames sometimes deserve the heat.

But Netiquette does forbid the perpetuation of flame wars -- series of angry letters, most of them from two or three people directed toward each other, that can dominate the tone and destroy the camaraderie of a discussion group. It's unfair to the other members of the group. And while flame wars can initially be amusing, they get boring very quickly to people who aren't involved in them. They're an unfair monopolization of bandwidth.

Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy
Of course, you'd never dream of going through your colleagues' desk drawers. So naturally you wouldn't read their email either.

Unfortunately, a lot of people would. This topic actually rates a separate section. For now, here's a cautionary tale. I call it

The case of the snoopy foreign correspondent

In 1993, a highly regarded foreign correspondent in the Moscow bureau of the Los Angeles Times was caught reading his coworkers' email. His colleagues became suspicious when system records showed that someone had logged in to check their email at times when they knew they hadn't been near the computer. So they set up a sting operation. They planted false information in messages from another one of the paper's foreign bureaus. The reporter read the notes and later asked colleagues about the false information. Bingo! As a disciplinary measure, he was immediately reassigned to another position at the paper's Los Angeles bureau.

The moral: Failing to respect other people's privacy is not just bad Netiquette. It could also cost you your job.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty NETIQUETTE RULE 9 & 10

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Rule 9: Don't abuse your power
Some people in cyberspace have more power than others. There are wizards in MUDs (multi-user dungeons), experts in every office, and system administrators in every system.

Knowing more than others, or having more power than they do, does not give you the right to take advantage of them. For example, sysadmins should never read private email.

Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes
Everyone was a network newbie once. And not everyone has had the benefit of reading this book. So when someone makes a mistake -- whether it's a spelling error or a spelling flame, a stupid question or an unnecessarily long answer -- be kind about it. If it's a minor error, you may not need to say anything. Even if you feel strongly about it, think twice before reacting. Having good manners yourself doesn't give you license to correct everyone else.

If you do decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely, and preferably by private email rather than in public. Give people the benefit of the doubt; assume they just don't know any better. And never be arrogant or self-righteous about it. Just as it's a law of nature that spelling flames always contain spelling errors, notes pointing out Netiquette violations are often examples of poor Netiquette.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:30 pm

WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT THIS CYBER RELATIONSHIP?

as far as i know from other people experiences, they believe in cyber relationships. even if they've never met before or for a long span of time they still have this what we called COMMUNICATION through the INTERNET. communication is a very important component in a relationship. even if how far or near you are with your partner, if you don't have a good communucation built-in, you are not successful for the relationship you're in. they believe that through this Internet, they can find their true love, their true partner in life. but in reality, they are into this kind of relationship or shall i say behavior, they are just doing this for their own good. some or most of the time, they are hoping that they can marry a foreigner for them to uplift their living and help the family and relatives. foreigners who are also into this cyber relationship is not easy to be determine if they really are sincere of the times they talked to their internet partner. because most of the Internet users, especially the men, they are just doing so to find pleasure like sex. cyber relationship is becoming more and more famous this days. this is because of the relaity that many are now experiencing the guilt of being a poor citizen in the country.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty The Truth About Cyber Relationships

Post  ynall_nosaj11 Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:10 pm

The Truth About Cyber Relationships

by Ezilon.com Articles

There was a time when the only way you could meet someone with whom you could explore some romantic possibilities was thorugh introductions from common friends. Though chance encounters were never ruled out, meeting the man or woman of your dremas in an elevator ride or during a freak car accident are stuff that only works in movies. It was about networking. The poeple you would be able to date were the same poepple in your network, or your extended network.

But with the advent of the Internet, things changed. These days, you could always meet someone through the many communication channels made possible by the World Wide Web. Chat rooms, Websites, and even email lists abound for this very same purpose. You can be able to establish contact with the other poeple looking for romance on the Internet.

Even when you're not looking for romance, it sometimes strikes you at the most unexpected of times. If you're a member of a forum for example, wishing to share your thoughts and ideas to fellow members of such an online community, you'd be able to encounter some poeple who would profess admiration for what you have discussed. Often, one thing leads to anotherm and soon enough, you'll be exchanging sweet, romantic emails on a daily basis, and sometimes even more frequently.

Amidst the hoopla of a budding cyber romance are things that we should not fail to consider. Let's take a look of these vital considerations when it comes to affairs on the Internet.

- Dealing with someone we cannot see is a breeding ground of lies. The usual lies that poeple make when it somes to cyber affairs are about their age, about their looks, and about their personal histories. There are graver kinds of lies, even. Some lie about their civil status. They pretend to besingle when in fact, they're living with their wives and kids. Some even lie about their gender. They may be looking for a romance of an alternative variety, but they want to catch your attention by claiming that they are of the opposite sex. The question is: how would you be able to deal with these lies? Are they ebough to shatter your aleged love? The thing is, we can never be sure about which is true, and which is fabricated. All we could rely are their words, and those very words aren't even spoken...they're typed.
-A cyber affair is useless, unless you go from online to an offline relationsip. Dealing with him or her in the real world would be an entirely diffirent experience than dealing with him in the World Wide Web. It's the true test for the legs of the relationship. It's the only way tyo guarantee the certainty of your feelings for each other. If you doon't have any plans of meeting up, a cyber relationship becomes pointless.
-The fact that you cannot see who you're chatting or exchanging emails only intensities the sense of mystery behind the other person. And this sense of mystery id often equated with love. Such shouldn't be the case. Love is deeper than that. It is not anchored on what you don't know. Rather, it is anchored on what you know and appreciate about the other person.
ynall_nosaj11
ynall_nosaj11

Back to top Go down

Midterm Discussion Topics - Page 2 Empty MIDTERM DISCUSSION TOPICS

Post  markadriandino Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Question ONLINE SAFETY

NETIQUETTE RULES that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion

boards, etc.:

1. Allow all users to make comments and ask questions. Don't try to take control of the room by flooding it with your own entries. bounce

2. Avoid direct confrontations with rude users. Report disruptive users to the chat host if a host is available. Otherwise, leave the chat room. Exclamation

3. Don't harass other users with threats, unwanted sexual comments or anything else that
might make them uncomfortable. No

ONLINE SAFETY:

1. Never reveal personally - identifiable information online.
- It's like putting your picture and address on a billboard! tongue

2. Never arrange meetings with strangers.
- There are creepy people out there. affraid

3. Don't believe everything you read or see online.
- People lie. No

4. Don't respond to inappropriate messages or emails.
- Don't give them the satisfaction. cheers

5. Be leery of personal questions from strangers.
- You never know who you could be talking to. Twisted Evil

6. Don't post inappropriate content.
- You don't want to see it but somebody wants to see it. Like a Star @ heaven

7. Understand what you put online will be there forever, unless you delete your Tagged
profile and separately any videos, or photos you uploaded to Tag.

- One mistake can last a lifetime. Twisted Evil

8. Visit online safety websites.
- Safety rocks! Smile

ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS:

Hmmmm...I don't have any own experiences (good or bad) in this topic but I think I can help enlighten other people about it... Very Happy
For me, I don't think so that cyber relationships be TRUE relationships because we know that many people have found true and lasting love through online relationships, but there are also some dangers with an online relationship that one has to always keep in mind. They have also a lot of advantages and disadvantages when enter it. Online relationships are some of the newest types of relationships that there are. With the Internet, you can move much more quickly and they tend to feel more genuine then they really are. No matter how long you have been chatting with someone else, you still need to keep the online relationships in check and not let the other person get too comfortable. There are, of course, many online relationships that turn into long term relationships and even marriage. And I think that's the advantages of it. On the other hand, one of the most common problems with online relationships is when a person goes online and registers with a dating site under all false information. They put up a picture of someone else and all of the details about them are totally fabricated. Many people will do this so that they can "be" the type of person that they have always wanted to be. They will present themselves as being younger, better looking, better educated and more successful then they really are. So, in other words through my long answer... Very Happy , you can't really consider someone your GF/BF if you have never met a person offline. alien

markadriandino

http://www.geocities.com/markadriandino

Back to top Go down

Post  markadriandino Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Question ONLINE SAFETY

NETIQUETTE RULES that should be observed when participating in chatrooms, discussion boards, etc.:

1. Allow all users to make comments and ask questions. Don't try to take control of the room by flooding it with your own entries. bounce

2. Avoid direct confrontations with rude users. Report disruptive users to the chat host if a host is available. Otherwise, leave the chat room. Exclamation

3. Don't harass other users with threats, unwanted sexual comments or anything else that might make them uncomfortable. No

ONLINE SAFETY:

1. Never reveal personally - identifiable information online.
- It's like putting your picture and address on a billboard! tongue

2. Never arrange meetings with strangers.
- There are creepy people out there. affraid

3. Don't believe everything you read or see online.
- People lie. No

4. Don't respond to inappropriate messages or emails.
- Don't give them the satisfaction. cheers

5. Be leery of personal questions from strangers.
- You never know who you could be talking to. Twisted Evil

6. Don't post inappropriate content.
- You don't want to see it but somebody wants to see it. Like a Star @ heaven

7. Understand what you put online will be there forever, unless you delete your Tagged profile and separately any videos, or photos you uploaded to Tag.
- One mistake can last a lifetime. Twisted Evil

8. Visit online safety websites.
- Safety rocks! Smile

ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS:

Hmmmm...I don't have any own experiences (good or bad) in this topic but I think I can help enlighten other people about it... Very Happy
For me, I don't think so that cyber relationships be TRUE relationships because we know that many people have found true and lasting love through online relationships, but there are also some dangers with an online relationship that one has to always keep in mind. They have also a lot of advantages and disadvantages when enter it. Online relationships are some of the newest types of relationships that there are. With the Internet, you can move much more quickly and they tend to feel more genuine then they really are. No matter how long you have been chatting with someone else, you still need to keep the online relationships in check and not let the other person get too comfortable. There are, of course, many online relationships that turn into long term relationships and even marriage. And I think that's the advantages of it. On the other hand, one of the most common problems with online relationships is when a person goes online and registers with a dating site under all false information. They put up a picture of someone else and all of the details about them are totally fabricated. Many people will do this so that they can "be" the type of person that they have always wanted to be. They will present themselves as being younger, better looking, better educated and more successful then they really are. So, in other words through my long answer... Very Happy , you can't really consider someone your GF/BF if you have never met a person offline. alien

markadriandino

http://www.geocities.com/markadriandino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next